What is individual therapy?
Individual therapy is a one-on-one therapy or treatment to address an issue or concern and improve the patient’s quality of life. Common complaints of depression or debilitating anxiety in an extreme form are best treated with medication from a psychiatrist supported by individual therapy.
What can individual therapy help with?
The main reason people turn to individual therapy is that they are unhappy. The patient may exhibit signs of depression, isolation, estrangement from others, or estrangement from self.
Women tend to seek individual therapy because they feel they have not actualized their lives. They do not have the career they wanted and have been dependent on her husband. Empty nest feelings highlight a lack of self as she searches for ways to find herself.
Men tend to feel they have lived their life as a supporter and existed out of obligation to do so. Perhaps he has been in a career he did not care for and now finds he has sacrificed himself for his family.
Additional reasons for individual therapy are:
- Unable to love or be loved. Have not been able to find a good relationship.
- Divorce or unable to find a suitable partner
- An inability to find joy in their life either through family, friendship, relationship, or occupation
- Grief and loss of a partner, parent, family member, or a pet.
- Life transitions- marriage, divorce, family moves
- Cannot connect with myself or others
- I don’t know what’s wrong, but I am not living life to the fullest
Most people consider therapy when they have finally felt they have exhausted solutions to their problems on their own.
If any of these resonate with you,
I see individual therapy to explore issues of personal concern in an atmosphere of safety and trust, where you can feel deeply understood.
A benefit of psychotherapy is the expansion of your point of view. I will help you identify and change negative patterns that may be present outside your awareness and prevent you from a fulfilling life.
You can then begin to move beyond your self-limiting models toward genuinely experiencing freedom, empowerment, peace, love, and happiness. Individual therapy can be an incredibly powerful and effective vehicle for change.